If you love seafood then you are aware that one of the places to eat the best seafood, is in New England. Once there make your way over to Martha’s Vineyard which is an island located south of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The seafood is abundant, fresh, affordable and best of all delicious! Here are my picks for the best places to eat seafood on Martha’s Vineyard.
1) Lookout Tavern. Located on the waterfront in Oak Bluffs, this restaurant serves up some of the best sushi on the island along with its regular menu. It holds the title of “Best Sushi 5 Years in a Row” from Martha’s Vineyard Magazine. However, while visiting the island my friends and I went not once, not twice but three times for their warm sautéed lobster roll! It is THE best lobster roll I have ever had. We also indulged in their fried oysters and fresh summer salmon salad served with watermelon and feta while dining both indoors and on their outdoor patio.
2) The Net Result. Located in Vineyard Haven with the tag line “An Upper Scale Fish Market”, the Net result has an extensive seafood take out menu as well as a small grocery store of items. There are live lobsters in a tank in the middle of the store, so freshness of this item is never in question. Although it is a takeout restaurant, ample picnic tables for eating are located on the side of the fish market. Our favorite by far was the fried fish sandwich served with two large pieces of fried flounder, a slice of American cheese, lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce. There were return visits made for this item! I also enjoyed the fried shrimp and lobster bisque.
3) Linda Jean’s Restaurant. Located on Circuit Avenue in Oak Bluffs. Known for visible long lines around breakfast times, this restaurant is well worth the wait for the seafood omelet. It is loaded with lobster, crabmeat, scallops and shrimp along with cheese. Truly decadent and delicious.
4) Nancy’s Restaurant. Located in Oak Bluffs overlooking the harbor. Besides the appetizing seafood items here, the water view from Nancy’s is beautiful! I had a perfect bowl of New England clam chowder while my friends raved about the crab cakes and salmon salad.
5) Edgartown Seafood. Located on Cooke Street in Edgartown. This seafood market carries a long list of fresh items including salmon, swordfish, halibut, oysters, lobsters and quahogs! It is run by the same family as the famous Larsen’s Fish Market which is located on Menemsha beach. Both places are known for their steamed lobsters that you can call ahead to order and eat at your leisure on the beaches.
6) Ben & Bill’s Chocolate Emporium. Located on Circuit Avenue in Oak Bluffs. I bet you are surprised to see a chocolate place on the list. Well, it is time for dessert! Ben & Bill’s is known for fine chocolates, candies and ice cream. I took a gamble and tried their lobster ice cream. I was shocked because it was creamy and sweet and the chunks of lobster pieces fit in perfectly.
I hope to keep adding to the list of the best places to eat seafood on Martha’s Vineyard by returning to the island next summer! It is truly one of the best places to satisfy your appetite for the best seafood America has to offer!