Photo Credit: Arctic-Images | Getty Images
15 Reasons To Fall In Love With Costa Rica
Ticos, or native Costa Ricans, have certainly got a few things figured out when it comes to living a healthy and happy life. Although rainforests and beaches may be the only things that come to mind when you think about Costa Rica, there are many more reasons to fall in love with this thriving Central American country.
1. The Nicoya region has been named one of the top five Blue Zones in the world, meaning it’s local people commonly live healthy, active lives past the age of 100.
2. Costa Rica contains 5% of the world’s biodiversity, providing visitors with ample wildlife to experience.
3. Due to its thriving environment, Costa Rica is home to over 500,000 varieties of species.
4. With nearly 800 miles of coastline, Costa Rica boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
5. Costa Rica has not had an army since 1948 and remains a peaceful country that invests its money in education over military.
6. This brings me to my next point. According to costarica.com, “in 1869, Costa Rica made education both free and mandatory for all its citizens. Over the last three decades, the country has invested nearly 30% of its national budget in primary and secondary education.”
7. Costa Rica generates more than 99 percent of its electricity using renewable energy: hydropower, wind, geothermal energy, biomass, and solar.
8. The country has five active volcanoes providing stunning backdrops and adventure options for thrill seekers.
Margarita Almpanezou | Getty Images
9. “Sodas” can be found all over the country and offer traditional chicken, rice, beans, and salad for only $2-4.
10. Up to 100,000 turtles come ashore Ostional National Wildlife Refuge’s beaches to lay as many as 10 million eggs throughout the year. Those who have witnessed the sight say it’s the experience of a lifetime.
11. 25 percent of the land is protected due to its national parks and reserves – the highest percentage of any country in the world.
12. Happy people! Costa Rica has topped many lists for having the happiest citizens in the word.
13. Costa Rican coffee is some of the best in the world. While here, you can visit coffee plantations and enjoy a cup directly from the source.
14. “Pura Vida” is a phrase commonly used throughout Costa Rica. Its direct translation is “Pure Life,” but, to locals, it encompasses an entire way of living focusing on health and happiness.
15. From zip lining to crossing bridges in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve, to hiking active volcanoes, there is no shortage of adventure and sights to see throughout Costa Rica.