@Nappy Pexels.com

As of July 2022, the processing times shared by the U.S. Department of State for a passport application are eight to 11 weeks. The processing time of a passport starts as soon as it’s received by a center or agency, not the day it’s sent in or applied on. Before starting the passport application process please note the following documents you’ll need :

  • Application form
  • Personal documents including but not limited to proof of citizenship, an acceptable photo ID, photocopies of both
  • Passport photo
  • Payment 

Once submitted, you can track the status of your application online here.

Applying for A New Passport

Non-urgent requests:

If you’d like your passport ready before the estimated 11 weeks,  there’s an expedited process available. The expedited process,  costs $60 and can take from five to seven weeks to process a passport. This saves you anywhere from 4-7 weeks.

Expedited process requested can only be submitted by mail if it’s a renewal and in person at a passport facility for new passports.

Urgent travel request:

In an emergency (serious illness, injury or death in your immediate family), you can request an appointment at a passport agency within 72 hours (three business days) of your travel day.

Renewing Your Existing Passport

Did you know you don’t need your passport to be expired to renew it? If you want a new book or a new card, you can submit the necessary  documents in exchange for new ones.

You can renew your expired passport if it has been issued within the last 15 years. The original passport cannot be stolen, damaged or lost; you must have been 16 or older when the passport was issued, and the passport must have been issued in your current name or you must provide legal proof of a name change.

If none of these fit, you can apply in person using Form DS-11.

Otherwise, you can renew your passport by mail using the Form DS-82. All the conditions mentioned above must be checked to apply for renewal by mail. If you fail to meet all the above statements and meet only some of them, you must apply in person using the same form.