A gas leak inside of Los Angeles International Airport caused four people to get sick in Terminal 8 between the hours of 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. According to the fire department the individuals were all employees of the airport. One employee is currently in critical condition.

Gas Leak From The Utility Room

The airport staff was working in the utility room at the terminal “when a popping sound was heard, and the apparent release of Carbon Dioxide vapor took place,” according to LAFD reports. The carbon dioxide started to release into the air and slowly started to replace the oxygen inside. 

One Employee In Critical Condition

Photo Credit: Honey Yanibel Minaya

One of the employees was a 50- year- old man who suffered the most injuries. He was found on the floor and not breathing. Responders immediately performed CPR and attached the man to life support as he was rushed to a nearby hospital.

“The carbon dioxide displaced the oxygen in his bloodstream and he went into cardiac arrest,” said the rep for the LAFD.

The airport wasn’t able to open the terminal to passengers until 10 a.m.