From virtual tourism to Zoom birthday parties, we are all getting creative when it comes to “traveling” and socializing. For your next virtual meet up, take a trip around the world by indulging in these tasty, global cocktails.
Amaro, which translates to “bitter”, is an Italian category of liqueurs. The Black Gato cocktail from Imbibe Magazine is the perfect nightcap to finish out your day.
1 oz. coffee-infused mezcal
½ oz. crème de cacao
½ oz. Averna amaro
Tools: barspoon, mixing glass
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir to chill.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a few cubes of ice or one large cube.
- Coffee-Infused Mezcal: Add 1 scoop of espresso to a bottle of mezcal and let sit for 3-4 hours. Strain the coffee out of the bottle before use.
Japanese whiskeys emulate Scotch by primarily using malted barley and aging in a variety of wooden barrels. Certain brands can be hard to find or may be very expensive, but Suntory Whisky Toki is the most accessible option.
The Japanese Whisky Ginger Highball from boozyoyster.com is the perfect addition to any virtual cocktail party.
1 oz Toki Suntory whiskey
3.5 oz ginger beer
soda water to taste
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 slice blood orange to garnish (optional)
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Gently pour the ginger beer into the glass. Add soda to about two fingers below the rim of the glass.
- Add the whiskey and bitters and stir using a bar spoon.
- Taste and add more soda if necessary.
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange (if using). Serve immediately.
A Mexican spirit made from agave and a cousin to tequila, mezcal is known for its smoky flavor profile. Straight from Mexico City, this Calebassito recipe from Imbibe Magazine combines watermelon, mezcal, Strega, lime, and ginger beer.
1½ oz. mezcal espadín
2 oz. watermelon juice
¼ oz. Strega
¼ oz. fresh lime juice
2 pinches cardamom
2 pinches black lava salt
Ginger ale, to top
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: tumbler or bamboo glass
Garnish: sprinkle of cardamom
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir to combine.
- Strain into a tumbler over fresh ice.
- Top with ginger beer and sprinkle cardamom over the top of the drink.
Channel those tropical, island paradise vibes with a refreshing rum cocktail. One sip of this Caribbean Rum Punch recipe from kitchendreaming.com will take you straight to the beach.
2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
2 1/2 cups orange juice
1 cup rum
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup coconut rum
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons grenadine syrup
- Stir all the ingredients together in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Serve over ice or blend with ice and enjoy!