Photo Credit: Photo by photo-nic.co.uk nic on Unsplash
Wine Lovers Rejoice: Here Are The World’s Best Vineyards For 2019
CNN Travel announced its inaugural list of winners for the World’s Best Vineyards awards, honoring the best wineries which are open to visitors around the world. From the majestic mountains of South America, to the rolling hills of Germany, this list is a celebration of the finest in wine tourism.
According to CNN Travel, 1,500 wineries around the world were nominated for the awards, with around 3,500 votes cast by an international academy of wine tourism experts. Surprisingly, the traditional wine regions of France and Italy did not make a great showing this year with none of their vineyards placing within the top 10. South America, however dominated the top 10 list with awards going to two wineries from Argentina, two from Chile, and one from Uruguay. Chile was the biggest winner of the night, with eight vineyards placing in the top 50.
Coming in first place is an Argentinian winery in the the Uco Valley, at the foot of the Andes mountains. A family-run business founded in 1963, the Zuccardi Valle de Uco unveiled a stunning new modernist bodega in 2016. This vineyard tops the list due to its attention to both aesthetics and taste.
Below is the full list of winners ranked in order from 1-19. If excellent wine is reason enough for you to travel, then this list may include your next getaway.
The world’s best vineyards according to CNN Travel
1. Zuccardi Valle de Uco (Argentina) *Best in South America*
2. Bodega Garzón (Uruguay)
3. R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia, S.A. (Spain) *Best in Europe*
4. Quinta do Crasto (Portugal)
5. Catena Zapata (Argentina)
=6. Montes (Chile)
=6. Clos Apalta Winery (Chile)
8. Rippon (New Zealand) *Best in Australasia*
9. Marqués de Riscal (Spain)
10. Weingut Dr. Loosen (Germany)
11. Craggy Range (New Zealand)
12. Robert Mondavi Winery (California) *Best in North America*
13. Penfolds Magill Estate (Australia)
14. Viña VIK (Chile)
15. Weingut Tement (Austria)
16. Château Smith Haut Lafitte (France)
17. Viña Errázuriz (Chile)
18. Antinori nel Chianti Classico (Italy)
=19. Opus One Winery (California)
=19. Domäne Wachau eGen (Austria)