Photo Credit: People Images | Getty Images
Here Are The World’s Best Vineyards For 2020
When the world opens again, taking a trip to an international vineyard sounds like the perfect way to celebrate. Start your planning now, because the list of the top 20 vineyards in the world was just released and these destinations sound idyllic.
“The World’s Best Vineyards Awards, created to honor the finest in modern wine tourism, was meant to be held this year in the lush surrounds of California’s Sonoma County wine region, but — 2020 being 2020 — the winners this year were revealed online,” says CNN.com.
According to the website, the awards are based on nominations from a Voting Academy made up of more than 500 wine experts across the globe. To ensure the Academy is representative, the world is divided into 18 geographical regions, with 36 experts in each.
This year’s list includes five South American locations, including Zuccardi Valle de Uco in Argentina, taking the number one spot. Delaire Graff Estate in South Africa is the only African location to make the list, taking the number 14 spot. And the United States takes spots five, 16 and 20, giving you plenty of local options to explore as well.
Here is the full, top 20 list of the world’s best vineyards:
1. Zuccardi Valle de Uco (Argentina) *Best in South America*
2. Bodega Garzón (Uruguay)
3. Domäne Wachau (Austria)
4. Montes (Chile)
5. Robert Mondavi Winery (California) *Best in North America*
6. Marqués de Riscal (Spain)
7. Château Smith Haut Lafitte (France)
8. Quinta do Crasto (Portugal)
9. Antinori nel Chianti Classico (Italy)
10. Viña Vik (Chile)
11. Catena Zapata (Argentina)
12. Schloss Johannisburg (Germany)
13. Rippon (New Zealand) *Best in Australasia*
14. Delaire Graff Estate (South Africa) *Best in Africa* *Highest climber*
15. Weingut Dr. Loosen (Germany)
16. Ridge Vineyards, Monte Bello (United States) *Highest new entry*
17. Craggy Range (New Zealand)
18. Gonzalez Byass — Bodegas Tio Pepe (Spain)
19. Château Pichon Baron (France)
20. Opus One Winery (California)