Photo Credit: TN
Ten Places You Should Visit
Joke Karibo • Jan 1, 2014
- Accra, Ghana – Every person who has been to Ghana has come back with nothing but praise for this small West African country. I’ll be heading to Kakum National Park, about three hours’ drive out of Accra, where the canopy walkway is a thrilling 100ft above ground.
- Reykjavik, Iceland – Iceland, one the darkest parts of the world – they only have 4 hours of daylight during the winter months but it’s volcanic landscape is out of this world and I would love to swim in the Blue Lagoon.
- Istanbul, Turkey – Despite the protests over the summer, Istanbul is still a must for me. Wandering around the bazaars, getting a glimpse of the Hagia Sofia and a trip to a traditional Turkish bath is on my list.
- Dakar, Senegal – With uncrowded beaches, the ocean waves of Dakar are starting to attract a surfer crowd looking for new challenges which makes it an ideal spot for long days on the beach. Maybe this is where I’ll finally pick up surfing?
- Dover, England – Known as the Jurassic coast, it feels pre-historic and the views are breath-taking. Living in London, time away from the city is needed. Fresh sea air and fish and chips! What more could you ask for.
- Bath, England – I have been dying to visit this ancient Roman city for a quite a while. With its mineral- rich natural spring baths it’s going to make a perfect spa weekend.
- Nefta, Tunisia – Nefta, South of Tunisia is an oasis. The desert is a place that appeals to me. Maybe it’s the sheer vastness and quietness of it. A couple of nights camping out in the desert underneath the stars is an ideal vacation for me and a few nights at DAR HI eco-lodge wouldn’t hurt either.
- Cape Verde– The home of the late Cesária Évora is so off the beaten track that you’ll probably have to explain where it is on a map. It’s actually only 5 hours away from London (by plane) and I’m fascinated by its cultural diversity and how that manifests itself in the people, architecture, language and food of course. I imagine it’s like a slice of Havana on an African coast.
- Costa de la Luz, Spain – Costa de la Luz is known as the coast of light so expect sunshine…. and lots of wind! It’s a major kitesurfing destination with festivals, parties and kite surfing throughout the summer months.
- Fuerta Ventura, Spain – Volcanic rocks, golden sand dunes and sandy beaches only a few hours from London means that this is a do-able trip on a limited budget and time when in need of some sunshine.
A Day in the Life: Health
Travel Noire, Travel, Las Morenas