Photo Credit: Photo via: Adobe Stock
Southern University Becomes First HBCU To Launch Its Own Hemp Products
As more states move to make THC legal, more businesses are taking advantage by launching their own line of products. Historically Black college, Southern University is one of the latest entities to join the industry.
The university’s agricultural research and extension center recently partnered with Ilera Holistic Healthcare to create a line of hemp products. ALAFIA, which is derived from the Yoruba word meaning inner peace, will feature two formulated PURE CBD tinctures: Isolate CBD with 500 mg ($40) and 1,000 mg ($80) and Full Spectrum CBD with 500 mg ($40) and 1,000 mg ($80).
As of now, the products are only being sold with retailers around Louisiana with plans to make them available for over-the-counter purchase across the country by late February.
“This is an exciting time for healthcare and business here in the state of Louisiana, and Southern University is honored to be a part of it all,” said Ray Belton, president of the Southern University System. “Southern has been a leader in agriculture and the sciences for 140 years while staying true to its mission of access. This CBD venture with Ilera encompasses all of that. We look forward to advancing this vision and serving as a model for other universities.”
Currently, the product can be found at the following locations:
- H&W Drug Store: 1667 Tchoupitoulas St., New Orleans
- Capitol Wellness Solutions: 7491 Picardy Ave., Baton Rouge
- Green Leaf Dispensary: 6048 W Park Ave., Houma
- The Apothecary Shoppe: 620 Guilbeau Rd., Suite A, Lafayette
- Medicis: 1727 Imperial Blvd., Building 4, Lake Charles
- The Medicine Cabinet Pharmacy: 403 Bolton Ave., Alexandria
- Hope Pharmacy: 1410 Kings Hwy., Suite A, Shreveport
- Willow Pharmacy: 1519 Hwy. 22 West, Suite 5, Madisonville
To learn more about the products or to see when they are available in your area, you can check the brand’s website: www.alafiahealthcare.com.