Photo Credit: TN
Selfies in front of the Taj Mahal.
Sitting on Australian cliff sides.
Lounging in a hammock in a serene lush green Bali forest.
While jetsetting to exotic locations can beautiful, let’s not overlook our old friend, the road trip!
Whether you’re taking a long weekend to reconnect with family and friends or planning a romantic getaway with that special someone, road trips can be fun and memorable.
Here are some practical tips to make you next road trip not only fun and memorable but also safe.
- Car Maintenance. Have your car serviced by a reputable mechanic before hitting the road. You can find a great checklist at sites like www.cars.com and AAA Auto Club.
- Auto Rentals. If your ride isn’t up for the trip or if you don’t want to put the extra mileage on your “whip,” renting a vehicle is great option. Booking Buddy allows you to compare rates from Hotwire, Expedia, Rentalcar.com, CarRentals.com, Priceline, and several other travel service sites.
- Roadside Assistance. Membership to auto clubs that offer roadside assistance is invaluable! In addition to AAA Auto Club many credit card companies and auto insurance carriers offer roadside assistance for their customers. Check your insurance policy or call your Credit Card Company!
- There’s an app for that! Check out a list of road trip apps compiled by CNN which include apps for roadside attractions, music, audio books, navigation and interstate exit guides.
- Food. Sleepiness and being sluggish can be very dangerous when driving. Avoid the carb–laden fast foods and pack some healthy snacks such as fresh fruit and water.
- Music. Great music can make the time go faster or it’ll seem that way. Be sure to compile your road trip playlist on your mobile device or iPods. Oh, and don’t forget the chargers!
Finally, take your time, take in the scenery and adhere to the posted speed limits but most importantly, relax and enjoy the ride!