Travel Noire Eats And Recipes: Moon Meals’ Smokey Guacamole
PUBLISHED: May 19, 2019
Nothing brings cultures together quite like food. To celebrate the black men and women who are using food to connect cultures and communities, we’re sharing some of our favorite recipes from chefs, at-home cooks and foodies who know that great flavors can bring us all together. LaForce Baker is a Chicago-based chef and founder of Moon Meals, and here he shares his unique take on classic Mexican guacamole.
Moon Meals’ Smokey Guacamole Recipe
● 4 large avocados, halved, pitted and scooped
● 1 lime
● 1⁄2 teaspoon of kosher salt
● 1⁄2 teaspoon of cumin powder
● 1⁄2 teaspoon of chipotle powder
● 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
● 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and minced
● 2 large roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
● 1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped
● 1 clove of garlic, minced
In a large bowl, add the peeled avocado, and spritz it with lime juice and toss it to coat. Using a potato masher (or a sturdy fork), mash in the salt, cumin and chipotle powders. Once you’ve reached your desired consistency, fold in the onion, pepper, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic. If possible, let it rest at room temperature for an hour to allow the flavors to meld. Just keep it out of reach of a hungry passerby!